Keep your Pet Protected from Poisons
If you fear that you dog could have been poisoned or may have eaten something harmful to him, you should call your Veterinarian immediately to find out what to do. But in the mean time we have outlined some procedures below that will help you in this situation and it very well may be this information that helps you save his life! It is important to remember that the earlier you identify any health problems with your pet, the better chance of a positive outcome is.
In most tragic accidents it is the simplest of details that may have been overlooked. One of the main ways to keep your pet safe from poisoning is to keep all toxic substances out of reach from your pet. Should there be a spill of toxic chemicals, be sure to immediately clean the area and remove all toxins (such as brake fluid on your driveway). Ingesting toxic chemicals can be fatal for your pet, taking these simple precautions can save his life!
Common Pet Poisons
Ant Poison, Rat Poision, Lawn pesticides, Bleach, Detergents, Anti- Freeze, Pesticides, Brake Fluid, Gasoline are just a few of the most common toxic substances pets should not be exposed to. Please note that there are such a large number of potentially toxic substances, that we are unable to list them all. If you are uncertain if something maybe harmful to your pet, a good rule of thumb is anything that is potentially dangerous to a small toddler or child could also be dangerous to your pet.
Common Symptoms of Pet Poisoning
If you fear your pet may have ingested, absorbed or possibly even inhaled a poisonous substance, the following signs will ensue in most cases: an altered state, usually confusion, convulsions, collapsing, listlessness, vomiting and possibly even death.
Emergency Procedure Tips:
While these situations are certainly scary it is vitally important that you act quickly and try to remain as clearheaded as possible. In order for your Veterinarian to help you figure out the best course of action, you will have to be able to clearly explain what is wrong with your pet and any signs of poisoning he may be showing.
Be sure to always have the number of your Veterinarian and the ASPCA 24-hour emergency hotline where you can locate them quickly should there be an emergency situation.
If your pet appears he has been poisoned or is acting strangely, call your veterinarian immediately and tell him your dog’s symptoms. Before calling the vet, try to have as much information available to tell him as possible. Such as a rough of idea of what you fear he has ingested and equally important what time you think it may have occurred.
If for any reason you are unable to reach your vet the ASPCA has an emergency hotline that is staffed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The number is 1-888-426-4435. This number can be used for all animal emergencies and is the best resource to have in lieu or your own local veterinarian should you have an emergency. (Please note: fees may apply.)
If you are unable to reach your vet for any reason, the ASPCA has a hotline that is staffed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The number is 1-888-426-4435. This number can be used for all animal emergencies and is the best resource to have in lieu or your own local veterinarian should you have an emergency. (Please note: fees may apply.)
We hope you will never have to use these procedures, but in the case of an emergency, you will at least be prepared and armed with the knowledge on how to best handle the situation. And remember that taking the proper precautions is the best form of protection you can offer your pet from any potential poisoning.
Please Note: That the information provided above is solely for the purpose of informing and educating our visitors and should not be used to replace the advice or care of a professional, qualified veterinarian